Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Wrting a Story

So I'm writing a story.  I mean a real story, like a novel.

Will anyone else ever read the story?  Maybe.  Will they like it, is it any good?  I have no idea.

I had just always wanted to write a book.  Most of my life, I have read fiction.  Scifi and fantasy in particular, I get enough reality in my every day life.  A little escape is good.

For more than a decade I wanted to write a fantasy novel.  I had many ideas and NONE that hadn't already been done to death by real authors.



Then one day, someone made a comment I had heard a thousand times.  "Criminals get caught because they're dumb".  I got to thinking about other reasons they got caught.  Most criminals are poor.  Many of them brag about their exploits.  Many are addicted to drugs and make stupid mistakes.  I had thoughts about Samuel L. Jackson's character in "Good Fellas". 

Don't ask me why but a thought hit me:  What if they weren't dumb?  What if they weren't dirt poor?  What if they could keep their mouths shut and not brag?  I didn't want to write about a criminal though. 


Anyway,  a story line quickly took shape in my head.  I had a beginning, a middle, and an end which is further than I had ever thought through a fantasy novel idea.  As I have written, the story has come together.  I have discarded a lot of ideas and added many, the new ideas being the better I think.

They, whoever they are, say that you should write about what you know.  I'm not.  I'm writing about a couple things that interest me but I can't claim expertise in those things.

Anyway, it's been a fun ride so far, I'm about 50,000 words into it.  I think it will be about 85,000 words total but I'm not setting any limits or goals.  I really am trying to make it good, but I doubt I have the ability.  Still, it's a fun exercise and something I encourage others to do.  If you like to read, it's interesting to get to experience what your favorite authors go through.

So that's why I am not posting on message boards as frequently or updating this blog like I should.  Not that you care, but that's why :).

Splitter

No comments:

Post a Comment