Wednesday, November 16, 2011

What Happens as the Release Day Approaches


“Are you getting excited about the release on the 21st?”

Someone just asked me that and I did not know how to answer.  I should be excited but I do not have time to get excited.

Along with getting “The Willing” ready for release, I am getting “The Reluctant” ready for a re-release with a new cover and the editor’s touch.  Files are flying back and forth between me and my editor, Tricia.  She just keeps finding stuff!  I love her, but it is like watching your game film over and over again and having the coach point out every mistake you made each time.  You know you will be better for it, but the process is painful and time consuming.

The good news is that the new covers and the professional editing will put the books ahead of most of the indie books on the market today.  My goal has always been to tell good stories with good characters and keep the writing from getting in the way.  And, if we want our books to be judged by the same standards as traditionally published books, the covers and the writing have to be “clean.”

The bad news is that polishing two books at once takes double the time.  Add to that the interviews I have been doing, the review solicitations, the guest blog spots I am writing, and the obligatory social networking, to see why I do not have time to be “excited.”  Did I forget to mention the promotions for “Christmas Lites” that I am flitting around to support?

However, there is yet another piece of good news: I do not have time to be nervous, either!  I am not expecting big sales the first day.  This is a marathon, not a sprint, and I am in this for the long haul because I am stubborn that way.  The books will be there forever and Tom’s story is just beginning.  Elephants are, after all, eaten one bite at a time.

Splitter

No comments:

Post a Comment